Welcome to the fascinating world of old vines. Whether you’re a wine producer, sommelier or salesperson eager to deepen your knowledge or a wine enthusiast looking to embark on a journey of discovery, this online wine course is tailored to suit all palates.
The Old Vines: Laying the Groundwork is an introductory course, consisting of 10 modules and approximately 16 – 20 hours of study time. Each module covers the fundamentals of the topic, with a focus on how it relates to old vines. The modules will help learners across the value chain, on the restaurant floors and in the retail aisles, to understand the history of old vines in South Africa, discover how viticultural practices impact the development of old vine wines, learn how the winemaking styles of old vine wines have helped to create some of the most awarded South African wines of recent times, and explore how the vineyards’ terroir and sense of place help to craft the wines of its members. Additionally, to provide practical know-how for members of the wine on- and off-trade, modules cover how to serve, store and, most importantly, sell old vine wines.
Along the journey you will meet various wine and viticulture experts who will share best practices and their old vine stories. A combination of reading, engagement activities and videos will keep you continually engaged.
Take note of the following before you start the course:
- The online course is self-paced and you can start or stop the course at any time.
- Read all the instructions to engage with the learning material.
- Keep a notebook close by to make notes as you work through the material.
- Use the references and links provided in the course as additional learning opportunities.
- One course registration is valid for one learner only.
- An assessment concludes the course. You have three attempts to complete the assessment. A pass rate of 70% is required to successfully pass the course and receive a Certificate of Competence.
Should you require any support during your learning journey, please contact Nadia Hefer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From vine to glass, we invite you to join us on an immersive experience that will reveal the value of old vines and the wines they produce.
© Old Vine Project NPC 2023. All rights reserved. No part of this course material may be reproduced without the prior consent from the Old Vine Project NPC